23/02/2011

The god-given animal instinct

I had this thought during my midday shower today, that I respect and trust my body more than ever before.

It is not the most comfortable place of late, it will no longer get me on page six or win me an olympic medal, but for heavens sake, it assembled a fully functioning human being out of a microdrop of sperm.

I also think that pregnancy is a wonderful and rare chance for women to reconnect with the natural world. You have to trust your body above all; more than your doctor, your midwife, your mothering friends, your baby-grow vitamins and your calcium supplements. Books are placebo, the internet is overkill, no app on your 4G Iphone will get you far.

It has to be you natural physical ability and your god-given animal instinct.
You have to listen to them most.
You have to let them take over.

I have never thought it is possible to feel so out of control and powerful at the same time.

Cue Lion King.

No comments: